Not your standard issue late twenty-something's blog.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Oatmeal in my coffee cup

I'm using today's post as a means to remember wise words said by my psychiatrist this morning. All of our emotions are self-created and thus, only we are responsible for them. Pain isn't avoidable, suffering is. If we look for a solution to a problem outside of ourselves, aka in the other person or in the circumstance, we are going down the wrong path.

He talked about how casts merely set a broken bone, allowing stability for a bone to heal itself. The second we cut ourselves, the body sets about healing. We can't help but heal ourselves.

All of this was reassuring and scary at the same time, originating from a discussion about recent events in my life.

"You've been well for some time."

"Yeah."

"I'd like to start thinking about taking you off of medication. How do you feel about that?"

"I'm scared. I've been so okay for so long and now I'm in this good relationship. I'm scared I'll stop taking medication and the crazy's gonna come out."

So, we're gonna keep me on the meds a bit longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home