Not your standard issue late twenty-something's blog.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I'm a tard.

It occurs to me that I need to stop my public nose/lip picking habit as I start a new job on Monday. Rats.
As I waited for about an hour to see my doctor today in the hopes of kicking a serious viral infection in my throat, perhaps the hiv I picked up from the Italian comic or the cancer I developed after chainsmoking for a solid weekend with my friend Carol, I noticed the slightly misshapen black circles on the stark walls about six inches above the rather ugly waiting room chairs. I looked around. Every sickass person in the room was leaning their head on the wall behind them. I thought of all the ill people that must have sat in those hideous chairs at one point or another. Hospital rooms really are ugly. You'd think, in a place so potentially tragic, somebody would make waiting rooms soothing. To this day, I have a clear visual of the "bad news" room in the ICU in Mt. Vernon Hospital, VA where my dad told me my mom had died. It was atrocious. Some sort of woods motif with ugly birds. I felt like I was on some sort of morbid safari. So weird when the mundane and the surreal meet.

2 Comments:

Blogger quickstuff said...

while i hope you don't have hiv and am still somewhat uncomfortable with how you joke about your dead funny mother [she could also probably out class daly, i'd imagine] i will comment on this post. very nice...actually makes me want to consider writing about waiting rooms. perhaps we should try.

4:30 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

this is precisely why I don't see doctors. For anything. Ever.

this is also why I will die in front of the playstation.

4:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home