Not your standard issue late twenty-something's blog.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Secretly I want to bury in the yard/the grey remains of a friendship scarred

Yep, it's Kath quoting indie rock week.

Someone who kinda hurt me bad sent me this email yesterday:

"Unfortunately, my mom lost her battle on Thursday. I know you know what this is like. Nothing's ever going to be the same."

And I was left wondering what the etiquette is. Someone who kinda hurt me bad lost her mom last week. I remember, when we were friends and innately smitten with each other as new friends can be, when she initially asked me about my mom's death and I told her and she gave me the standard "I can't imagine what that would be like."

I sent her flowers. Dropped her a voicemail. Tragedy equalizes everything, it would seem. Transcends professional/personal differences. Lets unanswered questions remain unanswered.

What I didn't expect was how much of that I was carrying around. I hadn't spoken to this girl since August of last year. We'd only recently begun trading emails. I only felt sympathy for her and something like relief and grief started to give me the shakes that come right before the tears.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

people deserve sympathy, but that sympathy is limited. in other words, tragedy doesn't equalize, it's three dimensional and ubiquitous and that means that you can still be the same asshole you were and share in tragedy because we're all in it always. it shouldn't absolve you from past mistakes and those who seek absolution through tragedy are morally barren.

3:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home