Not your standard issue late twenty-something's blog.

Monday, April 04, 2005

Open mouth insert beer

So, last night some pals and I go to my favorite local watering hole to watch the Sox/Yankees game. My new and rather attractive gentleman caller and I pop outside to have a smoke. (I know the following things are true: Yankees are overpaid and smoking is bad for you. Yes, thanks.)

Who goes walking by? My ex's best friend and fellow standup comic of the same first name. He looks rather like Skeletor and is thus impossible to miss. Apparently his car is parked on 48th St., the street the bar stands upon.

The smart thing to do would have been to keep my mouth shut and simply gaze longingly into gentleman caller's eyes, thus subtly avoiding any possibility of recognition. But, the filter was off and the beer was in and I basically am like:

KW: "Sorry, I know that guy. He's a friend of my ex's. Must not be recognized."
GC: "Huh. How recently was this ex? Recent? Recentish?"
KW: "Uh, like August."
GC: "Recentish."
KW: "Not really. We haven't spoken since."

But it's like . . .can I please, FOR ONCE, enter a relationship and keep my backstory to myself?

My friend Leila said that she and her now-husband, when dating, didn't discuss past relationships. Thus, they belonged to each other. (or so it seemed). So, unless they feel to bring something up that will help them grow as a couple, they don't talk about it.

I like this idea. Who wants to hear my sad stories anyway? And to bring up someone who ultimately didn't treat you or your friends so great . . . it sort of gives that person a kind of weight and relevance that they simply shouldn't be allowed.

I'm not gonna sit and ruminate about this but rather kind in mind that mysteries are okay. And allowing things to slowly come out is all right but choosing the moment rather than having a fit of neurotic silliness is probably in everyone's best interests.

1 Comments:

Blogger JCN said...

That doughy pantload already has a kind of weight that simply shouldn't be allowed. Fricking pillow squeezer.

10:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home