Not your standard issue late twenty-something's blog.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Alec Baldwin is short

That's right. You heard it here folks. There I was, getting a lunchtime happy meal (due to the period. I think Morgan Spurlock would at least applaud the size, if nothing else) on 7th and 14th and as I headed back north, there he was. Clad in black. Smelled expensive and delicious. Greyish hair, gorgeous blue eyes, puffy face. Looked rather short but my perception of short and tall is skewed these days. I tried to take a pic with my cam phone but alas, he was too far away. He looked busy, handsome, important. Sigh. Wanted to get closer for a better whiff. Alas.

Oh a quick shoutout to Shanonie: I ate Thin Mints recently as I watched Terry Schivo's husband on the TV. I felt your absence intensely.

In other news, my father continues to be insane.

"Kad, how's your job?"

"Eh."

"That's what I thought. Have you been looking?"

"You know I've been looking."

"For three months, right?"

"Right."

"You're being too picky."

"No, I'm not."

"You're not trying hard enough."

"Dad, that's ridiculous."

"Well, clearly you're doing something wrong."

"I can't force people to call me, Dad."

"All I know is you're unhappy there. And if you're unhappy there, your work is probably suffering and you have to get out."

"Dad, we covered this three months ago. Why are you repeating yourself?"

"You. Have. To. Get. Out."

"Dad, what do you think I'm doing?"

"You're clearly not trying hard enough. You're in the best job market in the country."

(laughing with incredulity) "Dad, you're absolutely right. It is my fault that employers are not calling me. I can certainly force them to. I'm sure there aren't any other factors at play. Thanks."

"You make me feel lousy. This conversation is over. Goodbye."

"Okay. Bye!"

And even I was typing this, I realized: maybe my dad's memory is really going. He recently lectured me on relationships, the same lecture, twice. Now he's given me this lecture twice. But he's always been deaf, something Ness pointed out recently. It's like . . even if we're in agreement, we're still fighting. But I took my shrink's most recent advice of "don't expect your dad to be a loving, nurturing parent and thus he won't disappointing you." So, although I was a little shaken and pissed when I got off the phone with my dad, I managed to laugh it off and reinvest in myself and my goals.

I recently found myself revisiting the goals I hope to accomplish before marriage. These are:
1. get out of debt
2. stop living in an apt my father owns
3. get published a collection of my plays

Wow. Those are the big three. And the first two pretty much go hand in hand. If those are my big goals, then .. .shouldn't every single thing I do contribute to those ends?

Do I sell everything in my apartment and get a $550 share somewhere? In a way, going back to my early days in New York, when things were certainly simpler but I was a lot dumber. And if my relationship with my dad is going to be shitty no matter what, how can moving out of his place make it any worse, truly? I recognize that it will be an inconvenience to have two apartments on the market at the same time but maybe the same realtor can sell both. Maybe that's not really my problem.

Friends and comrades, please advise.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hackett said...

The state of his real estate assets is absolutely not your problem. Time for Kad to live for Kad. Long live the Spanish Whore!

6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home