Not your standard issue late twenty-something's blog.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I pooped a cornish game hen

good morning, readers.
I'm going to take this opportunity to try to put links within a post and then attempt to put links on my actual blog. babysteps, people, baby steps.

Today is Bagel Wednesday! Brought to me by the good people of the EAC: Employee Activities Committee. I have consumed 1.5 bagels. Let's see what this looks like in terms of my ever-expanding gut and thighs:

[URL=http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/53183.html]calorie count[/URL]

did that work? I guess I'll find out when I publish.

In other news, I had a brief glimpse into NYC's novelty this morning. A quick flashback to how I felt when I first moved here. I was pulling my crappy umbrella down, juggling a homemade iced coffee and leather tote while cursing my hangover and there it was. Too tangible to be nostalgic, too fast to be savored . . . but there nonetheless.

When you live here, you have a tendency to associate neighborhoods with people and times. I used to associate this great bar called Rufus with The Fat One as we had our first kiss there and now I go there with many other people so it's lost that initial association. Although I associate Park Slope with asshole Jim Burger and my first apartment in New York (I think if I walked down 4th Street between 8th and the Park I'd probably weep for want of that simpler, debt-free existence and legs that could still run in that gorgeous park even if I was an idiot back then), I associate it now with John and Nic's apartment. And there are quite a few bars that have spanned my six-year (7? dear god) stay here. The circle expands. You gain people, some folks are swapped out, some move and some you just lose. The backdrop, it seems, though, is this city. It's bigger than all of it. And there's something comforting about that. It's far too universal to be solely your own and when the mere thought of a certain block or statue or restaurant is far too painful, it becomes something else. Thank God.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Don't use the [ and ] for your links. Use < and > and you'rem golden.

Also, right above your post in Blogger, there should be a little icon that looks like a chain (read: link). Click that and just enter the URL in then pop-up window as a worry-free shortcut.

11:25 AM

 
Blogger Kath said...

thanks, Gabey!

11:28 AM

 
Blogger JCN said...

it's the button with the little globa and the binoculars on it.

by coincidence, i just sent you an email with example a href magic.

with that you can write things like
neddy j. fatboochies

11:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home